Sunday, October 19, 2008

the Red Bull Soapbox derby yesterday

I had always thought that the idea of a soapbox race was all fictional, like something that was in the Little Rascals movies and then other movies copied the idea. A Hollywood myth, as much as the renegade cop who gets the bad guys and destroys a city block in the process. But here is a REAL soapbox race and it was really fun to see!!!

This was in San Francisco's Dolores Park - the RedBull Soapbox derby. There were about 60,000 people on the hillside watching the race below or the huge monitors around the park. Racers were judged on the skit or dance routine they did before getting into their car, along with the creativity of their car design as well as their racing time.

The names of the three teams I have here are "Thick and Thin" with a pizza theme, "Fully Operational" with a Death Star theme, and "The Winos" from Napa valley.



4 comments:

Jen James said...

So, I'm assuming you were there at the finish line? How totally fun! I'm guessing there were none powered by duck-paddling power???

SteveJ said...

That's the first thing I thought would be there! Ducks inside the car swimming! Instead it was hairy guys dressed as Princess Leia!!

Jen James said...

Princess Leia's wearing Axe! lol. Well, since she's too self-conscious to post, I wanted you to know that my friend Kim is reading your blog, mostly to see your picture because she was SO curious to see what my brother looked like! So, you have to post more pics! You know, for my friends to ogle!

Anonymous said...

Yes they are real, when I was single digit age sapling they would close the highway on rt 9 in Ossining, NY and race all Saturday.

I love the little rascals.

Your old friend, Scoot.