Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Good times during the economic crash

We went out for a morning walk at 6:30 am today. There were clear skies over the Pacific, a bright moon in the sky with a dazzling play of white on the water. Sparkling lights from tankers moving slowly on the horizon. And I feel rich in spite of the fact that the economic world is tumbling down around us. I find myself standing in the kitchen looking at my old beat up refrigerator, "Well at least I have this refrigerator. My old pal the fridge. I don't know where that water leak is coming from but by god I'm keeping this fridge." Or getting on the bus I think, "this bus pass is great. Forty five bucks and I get to ride the bus every day. At least I've got this bus pass." And there's an upside to working in the entertainment business, because people still go to movies during hard times. Oddly enough, if you look it up, things like movies, tobacco, cosmetics, soda, and footwear all do well in a recession. Go figure. Each of those adds up to a fun night on the town - and then some jogging.

http://news.briefing.com/GeneralContent/Investor/Active/ArticlePopup/ArticlePopup.aspx?ArticleId=NS20071101121538TakingStock

4 comments:

~Shannon~ said...

the footwear is to run to the store to buy cigarettes because you are late from taking too long putting on your makeup for the movie where you buy soda.

Jen James said...

lol Shannon. Well, I'm glad you at least have a good perspective. I'm not worrying till it's time to worry.

SteveJ said...

I'm bringing my own soda to the movies.

Jen James said...

And I'll be in the back of the theater peddling running shoes...