Monday, October 6, 2008

Cheaper shelves through recycling

I had been wanting to build four shelves in the closet, but lumber can be pricey. In an effort to get in the recession/depression/full-financial-apocolypse mindset, I found another source for my wood. There was a yard sale up the street and a really big old stereo speaker set that didn't sell, and was left on the street with a big "FREE" sign on it. I don't need a big speaker, who does really? But the wood gave me an idea. I took it home, carefully popped the sides off with a hammer, sanded it down and the 1972 speaker set became four new shelves. I used the backs of two speakers and the sides of one big one. Braces beneath the shelves were made from some old wood I had got from a yard sale down the street a couple months before - also with the 'FREE' sign on them.

FREE shelves!! yay! Now I can put all my "too-small" clothes somewhere. Useful, right?

4 comments:

Jen James said...

Hey! I love your recycling project! Keep it up and inspire all of our mutual readers! llololol Jen

Anonymous said...

yeah baby. i like the theory of eyesight changing during hard times...when looking at things they instantly change into something else. it would be funny to walk with friends and point out things. "hey that's a big pile of steel." "yeah!, hey help me take it back to the house and we can make a chinese garden out of it!"
you should get those space saver cube bags to store your too small clothes.

Anonymous said...

Ah!! "Lemons to lemonade" Nice going!
It opens up a whole new vista of ideas!

Anonymous said...

Can I have the BIG speakers -

Dad (from the 70's)